The following is a partial listing of representative matters handled by Firm Partner, Daniel H. Braff, who heads the firm’s New York City Land Use and Development Practice.
- Prepared zoning analyses and zoning opinions in support of real estate and finance-related transactions, including, for example: the acquisition of office/retail properties in Harlem consisting of over 400,000 square feet; a $20 million-plus acquisition loan concerning a development site in downtown Brooklyn; financial restructuring of an existing development site in Brooklyn to be developed with a new hotel; and the acquisition of an under-built property near Bryant Park to be developed with a new 40-story hotel.
- Acted as zoning counsel in connection with the development and conversion of properties throughout all five boroughs, including, for example: redevelopment of a five-acre commercial property in Rosedale; redevelopment of a 65,000-square-foot bus terminal property in Jamaica; development of a vacant site with a new hotel in East Williamsburg; conversion of an existing three-story day-care center into a new private pre-school in Cobble Hill; redevelopment and conversion of multiple free-standing public parking garages in Manhattan; and development of a vacant waterfront property in Staten Island.
- Drafted and negotiated contracts for the purchase and sale of development rights, and zoning lot development agreements for properties throughout New York City, including, most recently: representation of the seller of development rights from a landmarked site in NoMad, and representation of the purchaser in the acquisition of development rights for a new mixed-use development in Clinton Hill.
- Prepared and presented applications to the New York City Board of Standards and Appeals with respect to variances, special permits, and to establish vested rights, including, for example: applications for variances for a new 11-story condo development in Greenwich Village, a 3-story public parking garage in the Bronx and a new 40,000-square-foot church with a below-grade parking garage in Flushing; applications for special permits for wireless telecommunications facilities in Queens and Staten Island, and special permits for physical culture establishments (i.e., fitness-related uses) in Manhattan and Brooklyn; applications to establish vested rights for a new office building in Brooklyn and a new 10-story hotel in Long Island City; and applications to extend the terms of variances for a below-grade parking garage in Manhattan and an outdoor parking lot in the Bronx.
- Represented applicants in securing approvals from the City Planning Commission, including, for example: special permit approvals for a new public parking garage in Chelsea and new public utility facilities in Staten Island; authorizations to reinstate and extend the term of a special permit for an existing 7-story public parking garage in NoMad; and rezoning approval for an affordable housing development in Brooklyn.
- Prepared and presented applications to the Landmarks Preservation Commission for the redevelopment of landmarked properties throughout New York City, including, most recently, in Greenwich Village, Cobble Hill, and Williamsburg.
- Provided extensive guidance to resolve zoning and code-related issues in connection with approvals from the Department of Buildings for properties in all five boroughs, including, for example, securing approvals from the Department of Buildings to allow the merger of retail spaces in separate buildings in the West Village through access and egress easements.